Jump to the section of interest by clicking one of the links below, or simply scroll down to browse manually.
- New Tutorials - The latest tutorials sorted by date.
- SketchUp Tutorials - In depth tutorials guiding you step-by-step on how to use SketchUp.
- SketchUp Tips & Tricks - Learn various skills, deep dive into specific tools, and learn specialized workflows to enhance your 3D modeling experience. Become faster and more efficient by learning these tips & tricks.
- LayOut Tutorials - LayOut is the program that takes your 3D model and allows you to create 2D presentations from it. Learn how to use LayOut to create construction documents.
- 3D Printing - SketchUp is a great tool for creating 3D models to be printed on your 3D printer, or uploaded to
- Extensions - SketchUp can be enhanced by installing 3rd party extensions. These tutorials will review SketchUp extensions I've found helpful, and show you how to use them.
- Books - Looking to go beyond tutorials, and learn from a book? I have written two books on SketchUp, you can learn all about them here.
Layout is a supplementary program to SketchUp, and is included when you purchase SketchUp Pro. It incorporates a different set a features that help you take your models you create in SketchUp, and turn them into beautiful looking 2D “Layouts” that can be printed out and shared with other people. This is the most common format for construction professions to share ideas and plans, as it is not easy to carry around a computer where ever you go, to show people your model.
LayOut also allows you to arrange the perspective view of you model in a way that helps you communicate different features. There are many note taking tools, including shape tools, text boxes, dimensions, and some commonly used architectural stamps.
You don’t do any actual modeling in LayOut, it’s really just a presentation tool. But it is packed with a bunch of tools that will make your models look great on paper. Here you’ll find our compilation of LayOut tutorials, pointing out some shortcomings of the program, and helping you make the most of its great features.