SketchUp 2015 has been released, with it comes some great performance improvements as well as some additional tools. Here’s everything you need to know about SketchUp 2015.
NOTE: If you’re upgrading from a previous version of SketchUp PRO, go here to find out how to upgrade . Also, keep in mind, installing 2015 will NOT affect other previous installations of SketchUp on your system. So you can keep using 2014, for example, while you get SketchUp 2015 set up in your spare time.
New Features in SketchUp 2015
- 64-bit versions of SketchUp & LayOut – SketchUp and LayOut are now available in 64-bit, which means they will now take advantage of your multi-core processor.
- New drawing tools in SketchUp – The 3 Point Arc tool and the Rotated Rectangle tool have been added to the default toolset in SketchUp.
- IFC Importer – SketchUp Pro now has the ability to import IFC files directly, further enhancing its BIM capabilities, and helping it communicate with other software within your BIM workflow. The classifier tools has been upgraded as well.
- Two-segmented labels – The label tool can create two-segmented leader labels, giving you more freedom over the look of your labels.
- Label Auto-Text – Label autotext took a huge leap forward, unlocking a whole treasure of data from your model, making your labels even smarter. You can access IFC data and dynamic component attributes from within LayOut!
- Fast Styles badge – Styles have a big effect on how SketchUp performs under pressure. Some styles perform better than others. You’ll now see a special badge next to high performance styles when browsing through the Styles window.
- New Licensing System – Enterprise and network licenses will now be a lot easier to manage, and you’ll now get a 30 day trial to SketchUp Pro, instead of the previous 8 hour trial.
- Sketchup.com – What’s new in SketchUp 2015? Here’s an overview of what is included in SketchUp 2015, highlighting the major improvements and new features.
- SketchUp.com – Sketchup 2015 Release Notes If you’re interested in discovering all the nitty gritty details of what’s included in this release, this is the list you want to look at.
- SketchUp.com – 64-bit version SketchUp is now available in 64-bit. This help article goes over some details on what this means for you.
- SketchUpdate – SketchUp 2015 – SketchUp blog new version announcement.
- TUTORIAL – Rotated Rectangle tool – What it is, and how to use it. This is a great new tool, it’s worth reading through this at least once, so a year from now you don’t look back and say “Man, I never knew I could do THAT with the rotated Rectangle tool.”
- SketchUpforDesign – What’s new with SketchUp 2015 – A great article from author, Alex Schreyer. He also reviews some of the new extensions released by Trimble.
Where to Get it?Download SketchUp
There are two versions of SketchUp available: SketchUp Make, and SketchUp Pro.
SketchUp Make 2015 is a fully functioning FREE 3D modeling program licensed for personal (non-commercial) use. Just be aware that when you download SketchUp Make, you’ll automatically get a 30 day SketchUp Pro trial, so you’ll get to check out all the features of SketchUp Pro. After the trial is up, it will revert back to the free SketchUp Make.
SketchUp Pro 2015 has some additional features geared towards the professional user, including two programs: LayOut 2015 and Style Builder. LayOut is a separate program from SketchUp that allows you to create 2D presentations of your SketchUp models. A SketchUp Pro license is required if you’re using SketchUp for commercial use. The SketchUp Pro package costs $495, plus an additional $95 maintenance fee that gets you free upgrades for a year.
Purchasing a new license
Are you ready to buy? If so, you can purchase a brand new SketchUp Pro 2015 license for $590. That’s $495 for the license, and $95 for a mandatory maintenance package which will get you one year of free upgrades (Including any major releases). Remember, SketchUp Pro includes LayOut, Style Builder, and of course, SketchUp Pro. If you are a previous owner of SketchUp Pro, you may not have to pay full price for 2015, in fact, you might not have to pay anything at all.Purchase a new SketchUp license
Upgrading SketchUp Pro
As part of the Maintenance program, if you’ve purchased SketchUp Pro within the past year, you’ll be eligible to upgrade to SketchUp Pro 2015 at no additional cost. To find out your upgrade status, click the link below.How to Upgrade to SketchUp Pro 2015
SketchUp to LayOut Book
Are you going to be diving into LayOut for the first time? Learn how to create construction documents using SketchUp and LayOut with my book, www.sketchuptolayout.com. I’ve just updated the page with some great reviews some of my readers have written.
Be sure to check out the Professional Package, as well as the Video Course Package, which includes over 3-hours of self-paced tutorials. Go to www.sketchuptolayout.com to learn more.